BC logo, Skip  reading header
Bainbridge College
Search Help Site Map
Home About BC Academics Administration Students Faculty & Staff Services Library  
Financial Aid
Banner Web
Check Financial Aid Status
Federal Aid Programs
Code of Conduct
State Aid Programs
Direct Loan
Direct Loan Application Procedures
Direct Loan FAQs
Other Agencies Providing Financial Assistance
Financial Aid Payments
Withdrawal from College
Payment of Balance Due Policy
Refund Policy
Return of Financial Aid Funds Policy
Aid is awarded based on the number of hours in your primary major that you are enrolled.

Federal Aid Programs

Federal Pell Grant Program

This need-based program provides annual non-repayable grants to eligible students enrolled at Bainbridge College. Students apply, by submitting the FAFSA directly to the federal government, who determines eligibility and the amount to be awarded. Increase in tuition cost will not increase a student's Pell Grant award. It will be the same, no matter which institution attended. Students must also complete their financial aid file.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program

This need-based program is a supplement to the Pell Grant and grants non-repayable funds to students to help meet their educational needs. These funds are awarded on an annual basis to students enrolled at least half-time (six hours). SEOG is awarded on availability of funds.

Federal Work-Study Program

This need-based program, in which a student is employed by the college, is designed to offer students an opportunity to earn the funds necessary to help meet their educational expenses. Most jobs are on campus and due to limited funding, employment is not guaranteed. Funds earned under this program are non-repayable. Students must complete the FAFSA, their financial aid file, a work-study application, and be registered for at least six hours before they will be considered for employment. Payment is made at the minimum wage rate. Also the college requires satisfactory completion of a background check.

Federal Stafford Loans

These loans are backed by the federal government and are to be used for educational expenses. The student must begin repayment within six months of the last day of school attendance. Students are required to complete the FAFSA, their financial aid file, and a Bainbridge College loan application, Master Promissory Note, and Loan Entrance Counseling to apply for a student loan at Bainbridge College.

Additional information about these programs is available from The Student Guide to Financial Aid from the Department of Education.

State Aid Programs

Leveraging Educational Assistance Program (LEAP)

These limited funds are awarded to full-time students and are supplemental to other grants. Students apply by completing the(FAFSA). Early application is required for this grant.

HOPE Scholarship

HOPE (Helping Outstanding Pupils Educationally) provides financial assistance for tuition, mandatory fees, and a book allowance up to $150 per semester to Georgia Residents attending Georgia institutions of higher education. HOPE Scholarships are available to students who meet one of the following criteria:

  • Is a 1993 or later Georgia high school graduate enrolled in a degree program of study with a minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA), ("B" average)
  • Is a non-traditional student who is enrolled in a degree program of study and has attempted 30 semester hours towards his/her degree with a 3.0 or better GPA
  • Is a non-traditional student who is enrolled a degree program of study and has attempted 60 semester hours towards his/her degree with a 3.0 or better GPA.

Degree students will be evaluated by the Financial Aid Office at 30 semester hour intervals and must have a 3.0 at that time in order to continue receiving the HOPE Scholarship. Students may apply by completing the FAFSA and their financial aid file.

HOPE Grant

Provides an opportunity for eligible certificate seeking students to receive HOPE, regardless of high school graduation date or GPA requirements mentioned above. Students must be a Georgia resident and may apply by completing the FAFSA or the Hope Application and their financial aid file.


A student who completes his/her GED in June 1993 or later will receive a one-time $500 voucher from the Georgia Student Finance Commission to use for educational expenses at Bainbridge College. It is important that the student be aware of the deadline stated on his/her GED voucher. A student must present the voucher to the Office of Financial Aid, complete the FAFSA or the Hope Application and complete his/her file.

Learn more about HOPE and other state financial aid programs at www.gacollege411.org.

Withdrawal from College

A "Withdrawal from College" is defined as dropping ALL classes for all parts of a semester. There are two types of official withdrawal from college:

There are two different scenarios for student initiated withdrawal.
A) Withdrawal Before Mid-Term

The student must notify the Office of Admissions and Records in order to officially withdraw. If you withdraw from school before completing 60% of the semester you will owe back a portion of your federal and state financial aid. This amount is determined based on how much of the financial aid you actually earned through attendance. If you stop attending all of your classes and are withdrawn you may owe a repayment of the un-earned portion of your financial aid. Any repayment not made in a timely order will be turned over to a collection agency and will be subject to up to a 40% collection fee in addition to the repayment amount.

B) Withdrawal After Mid-Term

The student must notify the Office of Admissions and Records in order to officially withdraw. A student who withdraws from school after mid-term will receive a grade of "WF" in each course unless the student or advisor seeks permission from the Vice-President of Academic Affairs to assign a grade of "W." Upon the recommendation of the student's instructor(s), the Vice President of Academic Affairs may approve, in writing, a "W" grade after mid-term.


The Vice President of Student Affairs and/or Counselor, the Vice President of Academic Affairs, the Director of Admissions and Records, or the Vice President of Business Affairs may withdraw a student from school under limited circumstances associated with health, disciplinary, or payment situations. For more information, check with the Vice President of Student Affairs’ Office. The administration may withdraw a student for one or more reasons:1) non-payment of fees or non-completion of the student’s financial aid file, 2) advisor error, 3) medical emergencies, 4) discipline, or 5) failure to attend school. The President of the college or a member of the President’s senior staff may withdraw students for any of the above stated reasons and may withdraw the student from all courses or assign a “W” or “WF” grade as appropriate based on individual circumstances. Depending on the circumstances, the student may need to provide documentation.

Unofficial Withdrawal

Students who do not notify the Office of Admission and Records to official withdraw and stop attending classes are considered an “Unofficial Withdrawal.” The student will receive a grade of “FN” in each course, and you may owe back a portion of your federal and state financial aid.

Direct Loan

In the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program, loan proceeds are provided directly from the federal government to the college on behalf of the borrower. No third party is involved.  In fact, more than half of the colleges and universities in the United States already participate in Direct Lending.  Bainbridge College decided to participate in Direct Lending for Summer 2009-2010 academic year in order to eliminate any possible risks to our students and parents that might be associated with federal regulatory changes affecting the Family Federal Education Loan  program.  

Direct Loan Application Procedures
  • Complete the Bainbridge College Direct Loan Application once aid has been awarded
  • Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling Interview on-line. Please click on www.studentloan.gov to complete these documents. The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the Department of Education. The Entrance Interview helps you to understand your responsibilities regarding your loan and is required before the first disbursement of your loan. You will be required to use your Department of Education PIN-the same PIN you use to complete the FAFSA-to access the website and complete these documents.
  • Complete In-person entrance interview. Contact Office of Financial Aid to schedule appointment.
Direct Loan FAQs for Bainbridge College Students
  1. What is the difference between the Direct Loan Program and the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP)?
    The most important difference between Direct Lending and the FFELP program is the source of loan funding. Direct loans are funded through the U.S. Department of Education using funds obtained from the U.S. Treasury. This program offers students and parents one point of contact because the loans are made, backed, and serviced by the U.S. Department of Education. In the FFEL program, funds come from banks and lenders creating multiple points of contact for students. There are also some differences in interest rate, fees and repayment options which make the Direct Loan Program more beneficial for borrowers.
  2. Will I still be able to continue borrow from the same lender as last year?
    No.  If you borrow a Federal Stafford loan for the Fall and Spring 2009-2010 academic year, you will be required to borrow through the Direct Loan program beginning with the Summer 2010 term.  This change will require you to complete a new Master Promissory Note (MPN), with the department of education as lender.
  3. If I borrowed a Federal Stafford will I have to repay two different lenders now?
    Yes.  You will likely be repaying your federal loans to different servicers.  One or more servicers will be associated with the federal FFELP loans you received at Bainbridge College prior to the Summer 2010 semester and your Direct Loan will have a servicer as well. You will receive correspondence and payment information from both the Department of Education and your prior lender or servicer.
    After graduation you have a choice to make individual payments to your previous lender(s) and to the U.S. Department of Education for your Direct Loans, or you can consolidate your loans into one payment with the U.S. Department of Education.  For more information regarding Loan Consolidation please visit the U.S. Department of Education's website at http://loanconsolidation.ed.gov.
  4. Where can I find information to whom I will be repaying my other federal loans?
    Information on your federal loan debt can be accessed via the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at http://www.nslds.ed.gov.
  5. Do I have to complete another Master Promissory Note?
    Yes.  You must sign a new Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) because you will be borrowing from a new lender, the U.S. Department of Education. You will need to have your Federal PIN number that was used to complete your FAFSA in order to electronically sign the MPN.
  6. How and when do I complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)?
    The MPN can be completed at https://dlenote.ed.gov.  Additional instructions on how to complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) is available on our Bainbridge Stafford Loan Application Instruction page.  The maximum loan eligibility will be posted on your banner web account.
  7. Will the Stafford Loans I previously borrowed through my bank or lender still be deferred now that Bainbridge College is participating in the Direct Loan Program?
    As long as you are enrolled in school on at least a half-time basis, your previous federal loans will continue to be deferred. Enrollment information is reported to lenders by the school on a regular basis.
  8. How do the Direct Loan repayment options differ from FFELP?
    All repayment options offered to FFELP borrowers are also available for Direct Loan Borrowers. There are five repayment options available for Direct Loans:
    1. Standard
    2. Extended
    3. Graduated
    4. Income-contingent Repayment (only available through the Direct Loan Program))
    5. Income-based Repayment
  9. Where can I learn more about Direct Loans?
    General Direct Student Loan Information: http://www.direct.ed.gov/student.html.
    Customer service number (800) 848-0979

Other Agencies Providing Financial Assistance

Private Corporations and Individual Donors

A number of families and organizations have endowed scholarships at Bainbridge College. Information on these scholarships may be obtained in the Office of Admissions or in the Office of Financial Aid. Students should pay close attention to deadlines.

Veterans' Administration

Students who plan to use their educational benefits should turn in a copy of their completed form to the Office Admission Office and Records for enrollment certification. Please call 229-248-2504 for information.

Workforce Investment Act (WIA)

The Workforce Investment Act of 1998 provides the opportunity to tailor workforce services to fit the diverse needs of employers and job seekers. Georgia's Workforce Investment Act provides educational assistance to qualified individuals. A student who qualifies will receive aid in the form of tuition, fees, books, and supplies. Interested individuals should contact the Workforce Center, which is located in the Technical Studies Division of Bainbridge College, Room 664, at (229) 248-2552.

Division of Rehabilitation Services

The Division of Rehabilitation Services provides educational assistance to persons with disabilities who qualify based on economic needs. Interested individuals should contact the local Division of Rehabilitation Services office at (229)248-2480.

Financial Aid Payment

Financial aid funds will be in the form of a credit posted to a student's account. Allowable charges, including tuition and fees, will be deducted from the student's financial aid award. A check for the remaining balance will be mailed by the Business Office within fourteen days of the date a credit balance occurs. If the credit balance occurs prior to the first day of class, your check will be mailed within fourteen days of the first day of class . Reduction in class-load before the first day of class or during drop/add period may reduce the amount of aid. A student who adds/drops courses after the add/drop period will not have their financial aid award increased/decreased. Adjustments will be made for complete withdrawals.

Payment of Balance Due Policy

If you owe a balance of un-earned financial aid or tuition or fees to Bainbridge College, any balance not paid within 150 days of the original balance date will be turned over to a collection agency and you will be subject to a collection fee of up to 40% of the balance, in addition to the balance.  This does not include Federal Pell repayments.

Refund Policy

The refund amount for students withdrawing from the institution is based on a pro-rata percentage determined by dividing the number of calendar days in the semester that the student completed by the total calendar days in the semester. The total calendar days in a semester includes weekends, but excludes scheduled breaks of five or more days and days that a student was on an approved leave of absence. The unearned portion shall be refunded up to the point in time that the amount equals 60%.

Students who withdraw from the institution when the calculated percentage of completion is greater than 60% are not entitled to a refund of any portion of institutional charges.

A refund of all non-resident fees, matriculation fees, and other mandatory fees shall be made in the event of the death of a student at any time during the academic session.

Return of Financial Aid Funds Policy

The law specifies how colleges must determine the amount of Student Financial Aid (SFA) program assistance that a student earns if the student withdraws. The law requires that the amount of SFA program assistance that is earned up to the point of a student's withdrawal during a payment period or period of enrollment be determined by a specific formula. If a student received (or the college received on the student's behalf) less assistance than the amount earned, the student will be able to receive the additional funds. If the student received more assistance than he or she earned, the excess funds must be returned.

The amount of assistance earned is determined on a pro-rata basis. For example, if a student completes 30 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student will earn 30 percent of the assistance he or she was originally scheduled to receive. Once the student completes more than 60 percent of the payment period or period of enrollment, the student earns all of the assistance.

If the student received excess funds that must be returned, the college must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

* the student's institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of his or her funds, or
* the entire amount of the excess funds.

If the college is not required to return all of the excess funds, the student must return the remaining amount. Any loan funds that the student must return will be repaid in accordance with the terms of the promissory note signed by the student (or student's parent for a PLUS Loan). That is, the student will make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

If the student is responsible for returning Federal Pell Grant funds, the student does not have to return the full amount. The law provides that the student is not required to return 50 percent of the grant assistance that was received. Any amount that must be returned is a grant overpayment, and the student must make arrangements with the college or the Department of Education to return the funds.

Financial aid recipients MUST maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in order to continue receiving financial assistance. Financial aid will be paid to only to those students who are meeting SAP, and who are accepted and enrolled at Bainbridge College. Specific requirements are available at the Office of Financial Aid. It is the responsibility of each student who receives financial aid to familiarize himself/herself with the SAP policy.

For more detailed information and applications for financial aid, please contact Bainbridge College's Office of Financial Aid at (229) 248-2852.